A Sample B.E.M. Paper Number One.
Text: Yesterday morning at 9.30a.m. two bikers died in a tragic accident on a sharp bend on Airport Road. The bikers were talking to each other while they were overtaking a lorry which was travelling in the direction of Heathrow Airport. Apparently they were having morning exercise in preparation for the Tour de France. Two motorcyclists were coming from Heathrow Airport while looking at a low-flying landing airplane. “ They were riding very fast”, an eyewitness said. The collision between the motorcyclists and the bikers blocked the traffic for more than two hours. Two policemen were investigating the accident when we arrived on the scene.
( From On the Move , student’s textbook MS4, ONPS ,ed.2006)
- Reading Comprehension ( 7 points )
a- Read the text .Write – true or false – and justify your answers.(3pts)
- Yesterday morning at 9.30a.m, two bikers died in a deadly accident.
- They were riding slowly.
- The bikers were hit by a lorry.
b- Answer the following questions according to the text.( 2pts)
- Did the two bikers die yesterday afternoon?
- Did the traffic block last more than two hours?
c-Lexis ( 2pts)
- Find synonyms to the following words from the text.
* accident = ……… * stopped = ………..
- Find antonyms to the following words from the text.
* high ¹ ………… * taking off ¹ ……..
- Mastery of language.(7points)
- Syntax (5 pts)
1-Put the verbs in brackets in the correct form.( 3pts)
A)What ( to happen ) while it ( to rain) ?
B)After they heard about the accident, the policemen ( to arrive).
2- Supply punctuation and capitalization where necessary.(2pts).
the driver john had a terrible accident .
- Pronunciation (2pts).
Classify the following words according to the pronunciation of the final – ed - :
blocked – died – finished – ended .
/ d / / t / / Id /
- Written production. ( 6 points) .
You have recently witnessed a road accident and you have been shocked.
First suggestion: Write a letter to the local authorities. Express your worries about the increasing number of road accidents in Algeria.
Second suggestion: Suggest a series of measures to prevent road accidents.