Level: MS4 classes
Wednesday, February 6th, 2013.
Date: 1 hour.
Second term English test 2
“Good morning ladies and gentlemen… In around half an hour, we’ll arrive at the “Marvellous Caves”. They are situated in the region of Jijel. They are the most important attractions there. Tourists all over the world visit them mainly in summer on their way to the beaches of the region. There are some instructions you should follow before you get inside. We’ll get in as soon as everyone pays his ticket for the visit. You are not allowed to use your cameras inside so, leave them out with your bags, please. While you are inside, do not touch anything. The guide will be angry if you touch the rocks or take photos. He will answer all your questions and give all the information about the caves; do not hesitate to ask any question. When time is up and you get out, you will be given leaflets and pictures as souvenirs. Is everyone here… Let’s move then”.
Section one: Reading comprehension
- Read the text then answer the following questions. (2 pts)
- Where are the Marvellous Caves situated?
- Can they take their cameras inside the caves? Why?
- Read the text then say true, False or not mentioned. (3 pts)
- Tourists will arrive at the caves in thirty minutes.
- They must pay to get inside the caves.
- They will stay there for two hours.
- Lexis. (2 pts)
- Find in the text words that are closest in meaning to (1 pt)
located = ………. leave = ……….
- Find in the text words that are opposite in meaning to (1 pt)
horrible ≠ ………. cool ≠ ……….
Section two: Mastery of the language
- Supply the right punctuations and capital letters. (2 pts)
- if the tourists do not follow the instructions the guide will blame them
- Read the text then answer the following questions. (3 pts)
- The guide (to be) glad if the tourists (not to take) photos inside the caves.
- They (not to touch) anything while they (to be) inside.
- As soon as they (to leave) the caves, they (to get) back their cameras.
- Find in the text four consonant clusters that occur at the beginning of the words. (2 pts)
Written expression. (6 pts)
Your school will organise a trip to Hammam Debagh and you are asked to be their guide.
Show them in a 10 line-paragraph how they will spend their journey.
Use the time clauses and conditional
- Meet at the school gate half an hour before moving.
- Split into two groups: Group 1 visit the “Cascades”/Group 2 go downtown.
- Meet at midday for lunch at “Bouhamdan Dam”
- Come back home late in the evening.
Wish you success